Se Habla Español

Naturalization & US Citizenship

US citizenship and naturalization immigration help

Schedule a free consult with our immigration attorney

Naturalization and U.S. Citizenship Immigration information

If you have been a legal permanent resident (LPR) for more than three years, you may be eligible to apply for U.S. citizenship through naturalization. Many people delay the naturalization process only to find themselves being deported or placed in removal proceedings with the U.S. Immigration court. An LPR can be deported for certain criminal convictions. Don’t risk deportation. Stop putting off naturalization and call us today at (559) 734-5342. to help you become a U.S. citizen and get your permanent resident card!

FREQUENTLY ASKED Naturalization & U.S. Citizenship QUESTIONS

QUESTION: How long does it take to become a U.S. citizen?

ANSWER: If you have been a permanent resident for at least three years, the application process to become a United States citizen generally takes three to four months from the time the application is submitted to the time you are sworn in as a U.S. citizen. It may take a little longer if the immigration officer sends a request for additional documents. Once you attend the interview and pass the oral examination, you will receive an appointment to be sworn in as a U.S. citizen – the swearing in ceremony is usually two to four weeks following the interview and exam.

QUESTION: What kind of exam do I have to pass to become a United States citizen?

ANSWER: At the interview for naturalization, you will be asked up to 10 simple questions relating to U.S. history. The questions and answers are provided to you by our office so that you can study prior to the exam! The questions are asked in English, unless you are over the age of 50 and you have been a U.S. resident at least 20 years – then you may take the exam in your native language. You may also take the exam in your native language if you are over 55 and you have been a resident at least 15 years.

QUESTION: Can someone born to U.S. citizen parents outside of the United States be a U.S. citizen?

ANSWER: A person may be a U.S. citizen if he/she was born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parents. There are many complex rules relating to children born outside the United States to U.S. citizen parents. Depending on the date of birth, amount of time spent in the United States by the citizen parents, and several other factors, it is possible to be a U.S. citizen by law, even if you were born outside of the United States. You need to speak with an immigration attorney to review the facts of your case, and the rules in place at the time of birth to determine if you may apply for a certificate of U.S. citizenship (Form N-600).